Lately I've been reading the 2008 Newbery Honor books. The Newbery Award is given every year to "the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."
This year the winner of the Newbery Medal is Laura Amy Schlitz, for her book Good Master! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village. It is a series of short one-person plays that take place in a medieval village. I haven't read that one yet, but it's on my list.
Runner-ups are called Newbery Honor books. I have read The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt and Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson. I loved The Wednesday Wars. It's the story of a 7th grade boy has to spend Wednesday afternoons alone with a teacher who hates him. She makes him read Shakespeare, and take tests on his reading. Set in the late 1960's during the Vietnam War, it's the sometimes funny, sometimes touching story of a boy coming of age and learning about who he wants to be, despite his father's plans for him.
Friday, May 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment